Meghan Markle has asked Prince Charles to walk her down the aisle at her wedding to Prince Harry on Saturday.
Ms Markle announced on Thursday that her own father Thomas Markle would not be able to attend the ceremony at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, due to ill health.
“Meghan Markle has asked His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to accompany her down the aisle of the Quire of St George’s Chapel on her Wedding Day,” Harry’s office Kensington Palace said in a statement.
“The Prince of Wales is pleased to be able to welcome Ms Markle to The Royal Family in this way,” the palace said.
Ms Markle has decided to walk most of the procession unchaperoned, however, a decision which CNN described as a “striking feminist statement” on the bride’s behalf.
Ms Markle will be accompanied by only her bridesmaids and pageboys as she makes her way through door and the chapel nave. She will not be joined by her future father-in-law until she reaches the Quire, where many of the royal guests will be seated.
Ms Markle’s father, a former lighting director, was reported to have undergone heart surgery earlier this week days after he was accused of staging paparazzi pictures in return for financial reward. The saga surrounding Ms Markle’s father and frequent media appearances by her half-sister has overshadowed the days leading up to the nuptials.
Ms Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, a yoga instructor, is due to meet Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II on Friday.
Ms Ragland met Harry’s father Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall on Thursday and will be joined by her daughter and future son-in-law for Friday’s afternoon tea with the monarch.
source: The National